Migrant Rights Pioneer Ruben Contreras

Friday, April 10, 2009

Welcome to the Ruben Contreras Webpage

Welcome to this webpage dedicated to the life and work of migrant rights pioneer Ruben Contreras, who throughout his life worked for the betterment of migrant workers' lives.

Historian Tim Hills, in the McMenamin's quarterly publication, tells of Ruben's journey from Mexico City and an elite medical school, to the U.S. and the war effort on the home front during World War II. He recounts that in 1954 Ruben joined efforts with the Oregon Council of Churches and the Migrant Ministry and went on to work with future Oregon Governor Tom McCall and a small steering committee to help birth Oregon's groundbreaking migrant civil rights legislation that passed the Oregon Legislature and became law 52 years ago. He tells how Ruben was one of 15 national founding members of the Occupational Health and Safety (O.S.H.A.) advisory committee on agricultural safety in America.

Hills describes Ruben's life work:

"Most Oregonians today won’t recognize his name and are unaware of the substance and breadth of his accomplishments. This is due in large part because Ruben Contreras never sought a spotlight for himself. Instead, over the course of four decades, he intentionally remained outside the glow of celebrity, working side by side with government officials, growers, laborers and their children. Walls came down, bridges were built. He was there in an Oregon State Capitol committee room. He was there in the migrant camps. He was there at federal hearings in Washington, D.C. He was there to translate and advocate in the local jail. ... We offer this look back at the remarkable life and work of Ruben Contreras, probably the most significant individual associated with the venerable McMinnville landmark."

LINKS:

1. Obituary from the News-Register newspaper.


2. Obituary from KATU Channel 2 website.

3. Pamphlet from Memorial Service, Oct, 16, 2010.

4. Click to view Ruben's Memorial Service slideshow, Oct, 16, 2010.

5. Front page News-Register news story upon Ruben's death "Longtime migrant advocate succumbs."

6. News-Register end of the year story lists Ruben as one of the "Top 10 local luminaries who died in 2010"

7. In depth historical article about the life of Ruben Contreras by Historian Tim Hills. (In PDF format beginning on page 11. To obtain a free PDF reader click here.)

8. Online archives of newspaper articles, pictures, and documents from the Ruben Contreras Papers.

9. Join Ruben's memorial Facebook page.

To leave a comment or memory about Ruben Contreras click here and type in the box below the previous comments.



posted by MigrantMentor.com at 4:49 AM

8 Comments:

Post subject: article

A fascinating article about an exceptional Oregonian. I would encourage the author to submit his article (perhaps an expanded version?) to the Oregon Historical Quarterly so that more readers can learn of Ruben Contreras and his contributions to our state

Best regards,
Tom Booth
OSU Press

(Webmaster's note: this comment reprinted above was originally posted on a forum, Tues Nov. 28, 2006 at 2:06 pm.)

April 10, 2009 at 4:50 AM  

Post subject: About the wonderful man known as Ruben Contreras

I know Ruben personally because my parents were friends with for as long as I can remember. I spent summers with them when I was young and consider Ruben and his family as my own. He is my Dad in many ways as Alberta is my mom in many ways.

I will always have wonderful memories of the sweet, gentle, kind, and loving man that Ruben is but I also remember the man that believed in making the world a better place for the migrants and always stood proud. I know he taught me to believe that everyone is due respect.

God bless Ruben and Alberta and their family.

Love you and hope to see you soon,

Susie K.

(Webmaster's note: this comment reprinted above was originally posted on a forum,Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:33 am)

April 10, 2009 at 4:50 AM  

Post subject: So Proud of Papa & Mama

I'm Ruben & Alberta's oldest child and we're so proud of all they have done for so many people throughout their lives.

Many who have never met our father or even heard of him have a better quality of life because of his commitment to changing the way migrants and farm workers were treated.

Papa was never afraid to raise his voice to defend the cause of the poor or needy. He taught us as children that giving of yourself and the things you are blessed with is the greatest and most rewarding thing you could do. I remember going with my parents to the migrant camps to give out clothes and gifts to the people who lived there... those are treasured memories of seeing my parents selflessly sharing their lives with others and teaching us to do the same.

Papa & Mama have always put others first. Growing up I saw first hand how they both lived out their commitment to give each person a chance to make their life the very best it could be.

I know the late hours and early mornings Papa worked to see that each person he helped had the tools to make something of themselves.

Papa always says "You need to give people a hand up, not a hand out." That's the legacy my father has passed on to us all... to make the world a better place because you're in it... to make a difference in even one life is important.

My parents are great role models for anyone to follow. Thank you for showing us the way to live.

God bless you, we love you with all our hearts

(Webmaster's note: this comment reprinted above was originally posted on a forum, Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:10 pm)

April 10, 2009 at 4:51 AM  

Post subject: my dad

I am the middle son of Ruben. My dad all my life has involved himself with the needs and concerns of the poor in the Northwest. I have seen my dad help one person at a time over many years... That is why I am so proud to be one of his sons.
One other thing I would like to say about my dad. I have never met a man that I respect more than my dad. I have always loved his passion for other people and life. He has always been more concerned about others than himself. His life is an expression of that.

(Webmaster's note: this comment reprinted above was originally posted on a forum, Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:02 pm)

April 10, 2009 at 4:51 AM  

Post subject: A REAL MAN WHO, "CHANGED THE WORLD"

I am RUBEN CONTRERAS's Oldest son CARL. My dad has and will always be the PRIME example of what a true man is, and how a man should be. He has always went out of his way to aid and help people erase any self doubts they may have had in changing there own destiny (and the ones close to them) by reaching out his hand to help them overcome the obstacles and the negative thinking that they allowed themselves to believe, and be shackled by. MANY AND MOST of these chains may have been placed through the prejudgices (igorance) of society and reinforced by some of the so called community leaders and members of communities (whom have found through time that their narrow mindedness of race and poverty) that they themselves were less than the true leaders ,and less than the true men that they were trying to portray. (I witnessed so much of this as a kid around town and at school.) Many of these people, by seeing over the years, my father and his true acts of leadership and love for his fellow man came to the full acknowledgement, that my Father was a very rare true leader and the type of man that they themselves had only tried to portray. DAD not only helped many by his living examples, he helped the poor ... SEE THEIR DREAM ... REACH FOR ... and LIVE THEIR DREAM. I can truthfully say and so will anyone who knows my DAD ..... HE " CHANGED THE WORLD FOR THE BETTERMENT OF MANKIND." I am so very honored to be his son.

(Webmaster's note: this comment reprinted above was originally posted on a forum, Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:49 pm)

April 10, 2009 at 4:51 AM  

Post subject: Ruben Contreras Still Leads the Way

I was reading the article written about my father Ruben by Mr. Tim Hall, the historian, for the Hotel Oregon article in their Dec 2006 - Jan - Feb 2007 newsletter last night and was reminded of the wisdom that my father Ruben has given us his children over the years.

I loved what he said about what he was "I am a doorstop to keep the door of hope and opportunity open..." I almost wept as I read that... it's something that he still does for us.

In nearly every phone conversation I have with him, he reminds me to never give up, to keep praying and hoping and that something good will come of it.

Papa Rubens' been and still is a beacon of hope to all of us and a reminder that hope, love, peace and compassion know no bounds or barriers... they go on forever. Because of him we are challenged to become the beacon that lights our own path (as Jesus did) and of all those that will come after us.

(Webmaster's note: this comment reprinted above was originally posted on a forum, Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:37 pm)

April 10, 2009 at 4:52 AM  

I recall my father's tireless work on behalf of migrant workers who lived and worked in such poor conditions. I remember how he spoke to me of the need to stop the cycle of poverty that so many migrant children were born into. He spoke of giving them the opportunity to a unlimiting future where they themselves would be able to achieve the American dream and to become contributing members of every community they would live in. That was in the last 1960's and thanks to Papa, I have lived to see his dream from those children come true as many of them today are doctors, lawyers, teachers and all are contributing to a better and stronger America that once opened her arms to past generations of immigrants with the poem "Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me. I lift my lamp beside the golden door." ~ (inscription on the Statue of Liberty)

May 8, 2009 at 12:53 PM  

Ruben will always be a foundation for those who thought they couldn't make a life for themselves and their families. With his wife and helpmate, Alberta, by his side, they helped people to learn and find out just who they were and what they could become. As a friend to my mother and father, Joe and Ellen, Ruben and Alberta will always have a very special place in my heart, and my sisters as well.

March 22, 2011 at 1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home